After buying a can of wasabi peanuts at our local Asian grocery store…I can’t get enough. Even though they burn my nose and make my eyes water…I can’t stop eating them.
Here’s a recipe to try making your own wasabi peanuts:
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound (about 3 cups) whole peanuts (shelled)
- 2 tablespoons wasabi powder (not the paste – can be found in most grocery stores in the Asian section)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Baking sheet
- Preheat oven to 275°F.
- Line a baking sheet with greased foil or parchment paper.
- Whisk egg white and water together until foamy.
- Add peanuts and toss to coat with the egg-water mixture.
- Transfer to a sieve; toss gently and let drain.
- Stir together wasabi powder, salt and cornstarch in a large bowl.
- Add peanuts and toss to coat with the wasabi mixture.
- Spread peanuts on baking sheet in a single layer, and bake 30 minutes.
- Gently stir, reduce temperature to 200°F and continue baking 20 more minutes.