Published on February 21st, 2009 | by Amy Bell24
10 Foods to Prevent Cancer
Every year more than 500,000 people die from cancer in the United States alone.
Many researchers and cancer specialists believe that up to 60% of those deaths can be prevented if Americans adopt healthier lifestyles.
According to Rachael Stolzenberg-Solomon, a researcher at the National Cancer Institute,
“The easiest and least expensive way to reduce your risk for cancer is just by eating a healthy diet.”
Here is an overview of ten important cancer fighting foods to include in your diet on a regular basis:
1. Garlic – Garlic contains a number of compounds that can protect against cancer, especially that of the skin, colon, and lungs.
2. Dark Leafy Greens – Dark greens are rich sources of antioxidants called carotenoids. These scavenge dangerous free radicals from the body before they can promote cancer growth.
3. Grapes – Grapes (and red wine) contain the chemical resveratrol, which is a very potent antioxidant that can prevent cell damage before it begins.
4. Green Tea – The flavonoids in green tea have been shown to slow or prevent the development of several types of cancer including colon, liver, breast, and prostate.
5. Tomatoes – The compound lycopene, (which is most easily absorbed from cooked tomatoes) has been shown to prevent prostate cancer, as well as cancer of the breast, lung, and stomach.
6. Blueberries – Of all the berries, blueberries are the richest in cancer fighting compounds. They are beneficial in the prevention of all types of cancer.
7. Flaxseeds – Flax contains lignans, which can have an antioxidant effect and block or suppress cancerous changes. The omega-3 fatty acids can also help protect against colon cancer.
8. Mushrooms – Many mushrooms contain compounds that can help the body fight cancer and build the immune system as well.
9. Cruciferous Vegetables – Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts contain strong antioxidants that may help decrease cancer risk.
10. Whole Grains – Whole grains contain a variety of anti-cancer compounds including antioxidants, fiber, and phytoestrogens. These can help decrease the risk of developing most types of cancer.
Remember, along with a healthy diet, a physically active lifestyle is important for cancer prevention as well.
More on Disease Prevention:
Pomegranate Juice May Help Prevent Cancer
Preventing Osteoporosis: Food and Drink to Build Bone Density
Whole Food Nutrition vs. Supplements
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!