Who doesn’t love taco night? As an adult, not only do I see tacos as the ultimate in ease and versatility, but they bring about fun memories of my childhood.
I still remember when my family had “taco night” and I was allowed to prepare my own meal. I would wait in anticipation all day. She fixed up a huge platter of toppings, and I got to fill up my taco shell however I liked. All mom had to do was lay out the choices, sit back, and watch.
Beauty and Fun Come Together
The fun of making tacos comes from thinking outside the shell. Try some new ingredients and flavor combinations. It’s often these wild combos that end up being your favorite. Let’s not forget how fun Mexican food is just to look at. It’s lively, fragrant, complex, bright, and fresh. Your senses will come alive with great sights and smells. How wonderful is it to watch bright tomatoes, crisp cilantro with diced jalapeno, golden fluffy tortillas, and hot black beans simmering away, just waiting for you to pile on spicy salsa, red rice, and everything else you decide to add.
The Ultimate Fun, DIY Meal
The fun of eating tacos is not only in inventing your own creation but tweaking and adding to it as you eat. Need more salsa? Done! How about more guacamole? Done! Will vegan sour cream spice it up for you? Done! How about a bit of chopped cilantro? Done! Another pile of vegan shredded cheese? Done!
Vegan taco night is fun for everyone. Need some tips to build your own vegan tacos? Rachel has some great vegan and vegetarian taco ideas, and I’ve shared my favorite vegan taco recipe below!
Vegan Red Grape, Cilantro, Jicama, and Black Bean Tacos
For this delicious taco recipe, traditional flavors mesh with creative additions like sliced jicama and sweet, halved red grapes.
Yield: 4 tacos
- 2 cups red grape, cilantro jicama salad (recipe)
- 1 cup pice de gallo
- 4 oven-warmed corn tortillas (wrap them with foil and rub on one side with vegan butter or olive oil)
- 1 cup cooked black beans, thoroughly drained, and warmed on the stovetop or in the microwave
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese
- 1 avocado, folded and diced with a pinch of pepper and salt, and lime juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- Hot sauce, to taste (optional)
- This is the fun part. Let everyone pile on the ingredients into their taco shells. They can use everything or pick and choose to create a delicious, custom vegan taco!
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by SweetOnVeg