Sorry to be late with this one. Trying to do recipes on Fridays . . . oh well, here ya go!
Wow! That IS a mouthfull!!!! Got the idea for this recipe at the Chiropractor’s office, while perusing Good Housekeeping, which I otherwise wouldn’t admit I was reading . . . I adapted it and of course, made it much better.
3-4 medium sweet potatoes
2 TBS olive oil
1 clove garlic crushed
1/2 medium onion
1 lb. vegetarian ground meat substitute
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 – 1 TBS curry powder
3/4 cup veggie broth
1/2 lb. carrots, peeled & chopped
1/2 lb. parsnips, peeled & chopped
1 TBS fresh ginger peeled & grated
1/2 cup peas (can use frozen)
1/2 cup corn (can use frozen)
1/2 cup milk or soy milk
1 TBS margarine or butter
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Pierce potatoes all over with fork and cook on cookie sheet for about an hour.
- While potatoes are cooking, in a skillet, warm up oil on medium heat and add 1/2 of the garlic and 1/2 of the onions. Cook till onions start to soften. Add veggie meat and cook till throroughly heated.
- Stir flour and curry powder into meat mixture, cooking about 1 minute. Stirring, add broth and heat to boiling. Cook for another minute or until mixture thickens. Put veggie meat mixture in bottom of 2 1/2 – 3-quart glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Preheat oven to 375. Using remaining onions and garlic and a little more oil, saute onions and garlic for about a minute, then add carrots and parsnips. Cook for about 15 minute (covering to help accelerate cooking if needed) until veggies are browned and tender. Stir in ginger and peas and carrots and 1/2 tsp. salt if desired, cooking for another minute or two. Put veggies on top of veggie meat mix in casserole dish.
- When cool enough to handle, cut sweet potatoes in half and scoop out cooked flesh into a bowl and mash with margarine/butter and milk/soy milk adding 1 tsp. salt. When well blended, spread over vegetable mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 35 – 40 minutes or until top is browned slightly.
2 thoughts on “Green Diva’s Guide to Delicious Living – Vegetarian, Curried Sweet Potato Shepard’s Pie”
Is that a game where you can virtually cook food? Please tell me the website.
what the heck was that last comment?