Published on January 17th, 2013 | by Reader Recipe0
Reader Recipe: Steamed Spicy Shrimp Salad for Health with Citrus, Golden Beets and Fennel ~ Citrus Vinaigrette
by Karen Sheer
Inviting colors, flavors and textures creates one of my favorite salads. In cooler weather I serve the shrimp warm, directly from the steamer. Spicy seasonings pair beautifully with the pungent, multi colored citrus. Boost flavor and cut calories with this satisfying salad. The base starts with lean protein in the shrimp teamed with beets, fennel and arugula.
Healthy Shrimp Salad
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 pound shrimp, 21 – 25 size, peeled and deveined
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chipolte pepper in adobe, chopped
- 1 pinch turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch salt and pepper
- 1 bulb fennel, cleaned and dried
- 1 medium golden beets, cooked and peeled
- 1/2 cup cooked red quinoa
- 4 cups baby arugula, cleaned and dried
- 1 medium pink grapefruit
- 1 medium clementine, or orange
- 2 teaspoons fennel fronds, lacy herb of the fennel
- Citrus Vinaigrette (recipe below)
- Place shrimp on a plate to hold. Add the chipotle, turmeric, chili powder and smoked paprika. Mix well. Set a large saucepan with 1″ of water and a steamer basket. Bring to a boil. Add shrimp, reduce heat to medium – high and cover. Steam for 3 – 5 minutes until pink, cooked through (depending on size). Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Uncover and set aside.
- To prepare salad: Cut the fennel bulb, trim root end, and slice thinly – a mandoline works great. Place in a bowl, toss with 3 tablespoons of dressing and toss. Set aside to marinate. Cut the pink grapefruit into 4 wedges. With a sharp knife, cut away skin and white pith. Cut into segments, discarding pith. Cut clementines into 1/2″ cross wide slices. Peel away the skin, and segment the fruit.
- Slice the golden beet thinly on mandoline.
- Assemble the salad: Place 4 large plates on your work surface. To each plate add 5 slices on beets in an overlapping circles. Mound a portion of fennel on top. Place the 4 cups of arugula into a bowl. Add 4 tablespoons of dressing, toss. Add 1 cup on top of the beets and fennel, adding height.
- Add 5 shrimp to the plate around the arugula. Add citrus segments around. Sprinkle a little dressing over all. Top with 2 tablespoons of quinoa on each salad. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Scatter some fennel fronds and serve.
- Store extra dressing in a clean glass jar in the refrigerator for another use.
Yield: 8 servings
- 1 teaspoon citrus rind, finely grated – Clementine, Lemon, and Pink Grapefruit
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/3 cup citrus juices, Clementine, Lemon, and Pink Grapefruit
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a medium size bowl add the first 7 ingredients – grated citrus rind through citrus juices. Let stand 15 minutes to macerate. Then, measure the oils 1/2 cups total, and drizzle into the bowl with a whisk SLOWLY. Take your time to emulsify. Should take 60 seconds, drizzling slowly in a stream. Store in the refrigerator in a clean glass jar.
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!