Published on February 1st, 2009 | by Amy Bell5
Vegan BBQ “Ribs”
Eating fewer animal products is a great way to improve your health, along with the health of the planet.
If you’re not yet ready to give up meat altogether, try having a couple of vegetarian days a week. You’ll soon discover the joys of meatless dining, and learn to appreciate the flavors and variety of vegetarian meals.
This is a great recipe if you’re wanting something slightly “meaty” and covered with spicy BBQ sauce!
Vegan BBQ “Ribs”
Use organic ingredients whenever possible
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 2 heaping tablespoons tahini
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 cup BBQ sauce Use your favorite bottled sauce (look for one without high fructose corn syrup, worcestershire sauce, or anchovies), or if you have a homemade recipe you enjoy, use that instead.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly oil an 8×8 baking dish.
Mix the water with the tahini, tamari, and liquid smoke. Stir until blended.
In a separate bowl, mix the wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Whisk to combine.
Add the wet mixture to the dry, stir to combine, and then knead for a couple minutes until strands of gluten form.
Press and stretch dough into pan, cut into 8 strips, turn pan and cut strips in half to form 16 strips total.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Remove from oven , re-cut strips, and cover with BBQ sauce.
Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes more.