Have you ever found yourself longing for rich cream in your coffee, a creamy mushroom soup or gravy? Me too… that’s why I was glad to find MimicCreme Non Dairy, Vegan, Kosher, Gluten Free, Cream Subsitute. MimicCreme comes unsweetened, sweetened and sugar-free sweetened.
This substitute is made from almonds and cashews, so its out for those with nut allergies. I feel blessed that among all our food issues, nuts do not pose an issue (I don’t know what we’d do if my GF girl couldn’t have peanut butter or almond butter, she eats it by the spoonful!). Some of our favorite uses for MimicCreme are ice cream, french toast and cream of mushroom soup.
Here’s our favorite recipe made with MimicCreme (adapted from an Alton Brown recipe):
Creamy Mushroom Soup
- 2 Tbs. Earth Balance Soy Free Spread
- 3 cups washed, sliced mushrooms (we like to use button and shitake)
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp Celtic sea salt
- 2-3 gloves garlic- minced (depending on taste)
- 3 Tbs. tapioca starch
- 1 cup broth (veggie, chicken)
- 1 cup unsweetened MimicCreme
- Melt Earth Balance in a large skillet.
- Add salt, pepper and mushrooms.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, until shrooms become tender and juice forms in skillet.
- Add minced garlic.
- Continue to cook for a couple minutes.
- Sprinkle tapioca starch over mixture.
- Stir to combine.
- Add broth.
- Allow to simmer for about 1-2 minutes.
- Reduce heat.
- Add MimicCreme.
- Stir well.
- Continue stirring and cook until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat.
We enjoy this in many recipes, sometimes we want just plain soup with veggies and crackers. Other times we have it over rice or veggies. I like to make several batches at once and freeze them for a quick meal later.
Eat Well. Be Well.