I’m a sucker for a good soup, and now that the weather will be cooling down, I’m so excited to break out my favorite soup recipes again. A great one that can actually do well year round is a hearty chicken noodle.
The great American comfort food, the soup that makes it all better when you’re sick or just an all around great meal, I love playing with the original to jazz it up every now and again. This one is full of vitamins, minerals, plant-based protein and just some serious goodness! Plus, it’s simple, fast and if you make a large batch, it’s easily freezable to enjoy later.
- 4 cups organic veggie stock, home made or store bought
- 3/4 cup diced organic white or yellow onion
- 3/4 cup diced organic celery
- 3/4 cup diced organic carrots
- 1 tablespoon minced organic garlic
- 2 ounces dry noodles, cooked to al dente (gluten free if you desire, try brown rice or quinoa noodles)
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 16oz can of navy beans
- 3 tablespoons vegan pesto
- Lemon halves, for serving
Bring stock to boil for 2 minutes in a large, non-reactive stockpot with lid on, over high heat. Add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Lower heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Add noodles, beans, herbs and pesto and cook 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and salt and pepper, to taste. Serve with lemon halves and add squeeze of lemon juice if desired.