The summer heat leaves me dreaming of frozen delights. Traditional ice cream is high in fat and not good for our bodies at all, non-dairy ice creams are often pricey. The kids enjoy all kinds of frozen treats in ice pop form, but hubs and I prefer scoops in a bowl.
Here’s a delicious (and simple) recipe for a fruity homemade sorbet everyone in your house is sure to love!
Banana Berry Homemade Sorbet
(Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegan)
- 2 cups frozen banana in chunks
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup granola or chopped almonds (optional, for topping)
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm orange juice and honey until dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Place all ingredients in the blender and process until smooth and creamy. Taste for sweetness, add more if needed.
- Serve or freeze for later. If you freeze this tasty treat, remember to remove from freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes prior to scooping.
Variations: – Opt for different fruits, keeping the total amount of frozen fruit chunks at 4 cups. Blueberry-Peach? Mango-Banana? Pineapple-Strawberry? Banana-Chocolate Chip-Almond?
Eat Well. Be Well.
Photo Credit: Trio of Summer Fruit Ice Creams by JessicaFM on Flickr under Creative Commons License.