Golden Bell Pepper Soup from Eating Clean
Dipping your spoon into this sweet potato and bell pepper soup is like dipping into a bowl of sunshine.
Get the recipe for Golden Bell Pepper Soup from Eating Clean. If you want to read about how I recovered from 10 years of chronic illness by changing my diet, you can read my story here or get my book, Eating Clean.
Dipping your spoon into this bell pepper–sweet potato combo is like dipping into a bowl of sunshine. It’s stunning—and the perfect antidote to a gloomy winter’s day. This soup also freezes well, so if you’re not serving a crowd, store the leftovers for a later date (or make a double batch). I like to enjoy this soup accompanied by my Massaged Kale Salad with Spicy Hazelnuts.
Golden Bell Pepper Soup
Yield: 6-8 servings
- extra-virgin olive oil
- onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 yellow, red and/or orange bell peppers, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 teaspoon finely chopped fresh marjoram
- 1 recipe Gluten-Free Herbed Croutons, for garnish
- sliced avocado, for garnish; optional
- finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish; optional
- drizzle Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce, for garnish; optional
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook until soft, about 6 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes and broth. Season with salt and black pepper, cover the pot, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and add the marjoram. Simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Let the soup cool slightly, and then, in batches, transfer to a blender and puree until smooth. If needed, thin the soup with water. Adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper if necessary. Return the soup to the pot to keep warm until serving. Serve garnished with the Herbed Croutons and, if desired, the avocado and cilantro on top and Seriously Sensational Sriracha Sauce on the side.
Text and images excerpted from EATING CLEAN, © 2016 by AMIE VALPONE. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt. All rights reserved. Image © Lauren Volo.