Published on January 15th, 2013 | by Reader Recipe3
Reader Recipe: Kale and Apple Salad
by Andrea @Vibrant Wellness Journal
Got a healthy recipe that you’d like to share? Head over to our Submit a Recipe page!
This is a great cool weather salad featuring a mixture of sweet, roasted root vegetables and a refreshing mix of raw greens and apples!
Kale and Apple Salad
Yield: 6-8 servings
- 2 cups finely diced carrots
- 2 cups finely diced celery or fennel
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 cups Lacinato kale, destemmed and sliced thinly
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 cups shredded apple
- 1 cup finely shredded green cabbage
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- In a large bowl toss together carrots, celery/fennel, leeks, olive oil and salt and pepper. Pour onto a lined, rimmed baking sheet. Heat oven to 400Âº and roast for 15-20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Set aside to cool.
- In a very large bowl toss kale with 1 Tablespoon lemon juice. Using your hands, massage until bright green and wilted.
- Add apple, cabbage, and almonds to kale. Drizzle with remaining Tablespoon lemon juice, olive oil, and vinegar, and toss to combine. Toss in cooked vegetables and stir. Serve immediately! Enjoy!