Published on April 13th, 2012 | by Becky Striepe2
Make Your Own Vanilla Extract
Store-bought extracts are cheap and easy, but they can also come with a dose of artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives. There’s also something that’s just plain satisfying about making your own vanilla extract instead of buying it at the store. You know exactly what’s in that bottle, because you put it there!
Want to make your own vanilla extract? It’s super simple. All it takes is two ingredients and a little bit of patience. When you’re shopping for your ingredients, make sure you use fair trade vanilla beans, so you aren’t steeping cruelty into that bottle!
Vanilla Extract Recipe
- 5 fair trade vanilla beans
- 1 pint of vodka
- sharp knife
- butter knife
- pint sized Mason jar
- sticky labels and a marker
- Label your jar, making sure to put a date on there.
- Slice your vanilla beans in half lengthwise using that sharp knife.
- Use your butter knife to scrape the sticky innards from the pods into your Mason jar.
- Cut your beans in half the other way, and place them in the jar.
- Fill your jar up with vodka, shake it well, and store it in a cool, dark place for 3 weeks, shaking it once or twice a week.
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!