Published on July 31st, 2009 | by Jamie Ervin7
Homemade Sorbet from Your Blender
The summer heat leaves me dreaming of frozen delights. Traditional ice cream is high in fat and not good for our bodies at all, non-dairy ice creams are often pricey. The kids enjoy all kinds of frozen treats in ice pop form, but hubs and I prefer scoops in a bowl.
Here’s a delicious (and simple) recipe for a fruity homemade sorbet everyone in your house is sure to love!
Banana Berry Homemade Sorbet
(Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Vegan)
- 2 cups frozen banana in chunks
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- 6 tablespoons maple syrup or agave nectar
- 1/2 cup granola or chopped almonds (optional, for topping)
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm orange juice and honey until dissolved. Allow to cool.
- Place all ingredients in the blender and process until smooth and creamy. Taste for sweetness, add more if needed.
- Serve or freeze for later. If you freeze this tasty treat, remember to remove from freezer and allow to sit at room temperature for a few minutes prior to scooping.
Variations: – Opt for different fruits, keeping the total amount of frozen fruit chunks at 4 cups. Blueberry-Peach? Mango-Banana? Pineapple-Strawberry? Banana-Chocolate Chip-Almond?
Eat Well. Be Well.
Photo Credit: Trio of Summer Fruit Ice Creams by JessicaFM on Flickr under Creative Commons License.