Freshly made mulled wine is about as Christmassy as it gets…christmas in a glass, if you will. It fills your home with its spicy aroma and tastes way better than any bottled mulled wine you can buy, even if you make it with a cheap red you can’t bring yourself to drink otherwise.
Cranberry and Cardamom Mulled Wine
- 1 bottle of red wine (I used a Rioja)
- ½ pint of cranberries
- ½ orange, sliced into wedges
- about 12 cardamom pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ¼ cup sugar (more or less to taste and sweetness of wine)
- In a sauce pan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. (You can also make it in your crock pot.)
- Let simmer for about 20-30 minutes, until cranberries pop.
- Serve in mugs with the cranberries and oranges, but avoid serving the cardamom pods and cinnamon stick.