Tired of your usual lasagna recipe? Try this pasta bake that has both Italian and Mexican flavors.
Whole Wheat Pasta Bake
- 1 lb meat/meat substitute
- 1 10 oz box whole wheat rotini
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 whole bell peppers, different colors
- 10 whole green onions
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 cloves garlic
- 10 oz shredded cheddar
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and set on to boil. When water boils put noodles in and cook until al dente.
- Meanwhile, wash all vegetables. Chop off bottoms and tops of green onions (use only white crispy parts.) Slice thinly. Mix together with softened cream cheese and yogurt. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350.
- Mince or press garlic cloves. Dice peppers into 1/2 to 1 inch pieces. Heat about 1 tbsp oil in the bottom of a medium saucepan.
- Saute garlic and pepper until al dente. Add crushed tomatoes.
- Cook meat or meat substitute until completely cooked through. Drain if needed. Add to tomato sauce mixture.
- Once noodles are cooked, oven is preheated and sauce has cooked for about 5 minutes, you can assemble the dish.
- Cover the bottom of an 8 1/2″ by 11″ glass pan with a thin layer of the tomato sauce mixture. Use 1/2 the noodles for the next layer. Spread half the yogurt/green onion mixture for the next layer. Continue layering until all ingredients are gone. Cover the top with the shredded cheddar.
- Bake in oven for about 10 minutes or until cheese is golden on top.
Image credit to Southern Fairytale