Chances are, if you’re a regular reader here you bring your own, reusable grocery bags to the store, but when it comes to reducing the plastic bags in your life, that’s just the tip of the sustainability iceberg. Remember Heather’s challenges when she took part in Plastic Free February?
Our sister site, Green Business Owner, is offering up a free webinar on May 2nd, at 6 PM EST/3 PM PST to help you banish those single use plastic bags. The talk is going to be focusing on helping businesses reduce their plastic use, but I think anyone can learn a few tricks for cutting out the plastic.
Scott Cooney shared a few reasons that plastic bags are the pits:
- They have a very short useful life, followed by eons of just hanging around because they don’t biodegrade.
- While they’re technically recyclable, only about 5% are actually recycled, and when they are recycled, they can’t make more plastic bags…they must be turned into other things, and there’s not much of a market for those raw materials.
- They are often confused for jellyfish and become a real hazard for turtles and other marine life that confuse them for real food.
- They contain chemicals like phthalates which may well be harming our reproductive systems.
- There’s 46 times more plastic in parts of our ocean than plankton.
You can check out more deets about the webinar over at Green Business Owner! What are some ways that you reduce the plastic in your life right now?
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by Edinburgh Greens