It’s here! The official start of the summer season and this is the outdoor feast that starts the next 3 months of sunshine filled fun with a bang! Break out the bbq’s, fill the coolers with ice, blast some hits and it’s time to celebrate summer with this memorable Memorial Day menu! And don’t forget to toast our fallen soldiers and service men abroad because after all, it’s the reason for the start of the season!
Memorial Day Mushroom Burger
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb mushrooms, roughly chopped (combination of crimini, shiitake, and Portobello)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 6 cloves minced garlic
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan cheese (or dairy cheese, if you prefer)
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 egg replacers (or eggs, if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or 1 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in large saucepan. Saute the mushrooms, onions and garlic over medium heat for about 10 minutes, or until the liquid boils off, and the mushrooms begin to saute.
- In large bowl, add mushroom mixture to oats, soy cheese, breadcrumbs, egg replacers, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Mix well. Allow to sit for 15 minutes to develop the flavors. Shape into patties. Heat 2 tbsp oil in large non-stick skillet, over medium heat. Fry patties, cooking about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden brown.
- Serve on a toasted bun and top with grilled onions, avocado, lettuce, pickle and tomato.
Crispity Crunchity Salad
- 1/3 cup tamari (wheat free for gluten sensitive folks)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 head red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 head white cabbage, shredded
- 4 large pieces of your protein of choice (tofu, tempeh, etc), chopped
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 lemon
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl, combine your tamari, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup and whisk in your sesame oil. set aside.Add your canola oil to a pan and bring to about 350 degrees. Add your chopped up protein choice and 1 tsp soy sauce. Stir fry until crispy on the outer edges. Set aside to cool.Shred your cabbage into thin strips in a large mixing bowl.
- Toast almonds and sesame seeds in a small pan. Then toss seeds, almonds and protein into the the cabbage bowl. Toss in the tamari/maple dressing, salt and pepper. Squeeze in 1/2 of the lemon and stir together. Set in the fridge to cool for approximately 1 hour.
Fruity, Nutty Spinach Salad
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup sliced, roasted almonds
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons raw sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the spinach, strawberries and almonds. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the vinegar, agave and sugar; shake well. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately.
- 1/3 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 oz organic rum
- 4 ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth.
- Serve in a chilled glass and garnish with lime garnish and an umbrella!
Finger Lickin’ Gooey Brownies
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Pour in water, vegetable oil and vanilla; mix until well blended. Spread evenly in a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the top is no longer shiny. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before cutting into squares.
Have a safe and happy Memorial Day, and welcome to Summer!!
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by Carissa GoodNCrazy