With a delicious, crunchy, falafel crust, this vegan pizza is far from typical. 100% gluten-free, full of protein, fiber, and incredibly healthy! Doesn’t sound very much like a pizza, does it?
Vegan Pizza with Falafel Crust
Yield: Makes 1 large falafel pizza crust.
- 1/2 cup ground, cooked chickpeas, black beans, or lentils
- 1 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/3 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- cumin, curry, cayenne, and thyme spices, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- black olives
- fresh basil, rosemary, and thyme, to taste
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Mix all of the ingredients (besides the toppings) in a large bowl and stir until a thick batter forms. When you can no longer stir, use your hands to press the ingredients together.
- Form the dough into a ball, and use a floured rolling pin to flatten it to 1/2 a centimeter in thickness. Bake for 10-15 minutes at 350°F.
- Once the crust has baked, layer on your toppings and bake the pizza for another 20 minutes or until crispy.
Looking for more vegan pizza inspiration? Check out some of our more traditional vegan pizza ideas.