MAKES ONE 9-INCH PIE
This raspberry pie has a secret weapon . . . balsamic vinegar! Although you won’t be able to detect it, it simply heightens the tart raspberry flavor like whoa. Even if you’re using frozen berries they will taste like something special. We always like to make a lattice top if there are red berries inside because how could you not? It would be crazy to hide all that vibrant color.
1 recipe Buttery Double Crust (page 37), rolled out and fit into a 9-inch pie plate
- 5 cups raspberries, fresh or frozen (see tips on page 12)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
1. Preheat the oven to 425°F.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together all of the filling ingredients and set aside.
3. Add the filling to the prepared pie shell. Create a lattice crust on top (see illustration on page 33), pinch the edges together, trim the excess dough to about an inch, and crimp.
4. Bake the pie for 25 minutes, then lower the heat to 350°F and bake for 30 to 35 more minutes. The filling should be bubbly and the crust lightly browned. Place pie on a cooling rack to let cool. It’s very saucy at first, so give it an hour or so before slicing.
From the book Vegan Pie in the Sky by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero. Excerpted by arrangement with Da Capo Lifelong, a member of the Perseus Books Group. Copyright 2011. www.dacapopresscookbooks.com
First Page >> Review of Vegan Pie in the Sky