Eggplant has got to be one of my all time favorite foods. So I was pretty excited when we started harvesting Japanese eggplant at the farm a few weeks ago. Do you need some eggplant recipes, now that this veggie is in season? We’ve got you covered!
Eggplant is in season July through October in most areas. There are literally dozens of varieties to choose from. Although we’re most familiar with the large, oblong ones, the smaller, slenderer varieties tend to more firm and less bitter (meaning that you don’t have to salt them).
Here are my top ten favorite eggplant recipes.
1. Spicy Sichuan Eggplant – If you like spicy eggplant from your local Chinese restaurant, you’ll love this recipe. (Vegan)
2. Thai Roasted Eggplant Salad With Cilantro and Lime– Not your typical, shy salad – this one is packed with flavor. It’s simultaneously salty, sour, spicy, and sweet. (Vegetarian)
3. Mediterranean Eggplant Steaks – Grilled eggplant topped with spinach, roasted red peppers, olives, hummus, cheese, and bread crumbs. My fiance is crazy about them. (Vegetarian)
4. Grilled Eggplant Salad With Yogurt – Smoky, creamy, and perfect for a barbecue. (Vegetarian)
5. Baba Ghannouj – Easier than you might think, and possibly more delicious than its chickpea cousin, hummus. (Vegan)
6. Grilled Eggplant and Olive Pizza – Smoky, salty, and cheesy. What more could you ask for in a pizza? (Vegetarian)
7. Smoked Eggplant (Bharta) – The classic Indian eggplant and tomato dish. (Vegan)
8. Tempeh and Eggplant Pot Pies – Vegan comfort food at its finest. (Vegan)
9. Mediterranean Eggplant and Barley Salad – This healthy summer grain salad highlights the best of summer produce: eggplant, zucchini, and cherry tomatoes. (Vegan)
10. Eggplant Lentil Stew with Pomegranate Molasses – A Turkish recipe perfect for end-of-the-season eggplants.
Image courtesy of SpecialKRB via a Creative Commons license.
2 thoughts on “Top Ten Eggplant Recipes (in season now!)”
These recipes look great, and I really appreciate that they're all either vegetarian or vegan, which means we can ALL try them (I can easily convert the vegetarian ones to vegan). Thank you! Can't wait to try them!
You’re welcome! Enjoy.