Michael Guerrieri, who goes simply by Chef G, was born in Naples, raised in New York and owns a restaurant in Lisbon. As a result, his unique brand of fusion food, which he tags “ItaLisboNyorker,” is healthy, flavorful and dreamy. In addition to his highly acclaimed restaurant, Mezzaluna in Lisbon, Chef just opened a not-to-be-missed sandwich shop in Hell’s Kitchen NYC, City Sandwich. The transition made perfect sense to Chef:
“I have been working with the Portuguese community in New Jersey to find those delicious ingredients I was surrounded by in Portugal over the past 13 years. After a few visits, I was fortunate to find a Portuguese baker to help me finalize the perfect light bread. The insides of the bread are removed and the golden crust are filled. There is no mayo. I have swapped the mayo for yogurt sauces and a splash of olive oil in order to wet the sandwich.”
Here’s one of Chef’s delicious quick and simple summer sandwiches that will go perfectly with a glass of crisp Chardonnay
‘Melted Cornelia’ Summer Veggie Sandwich
- 1/2 cup of the following vegetables (cut into bite size pieces)
- collard greens
- 1 teaspoon chopped rosemary
- A few thin slices mozzarella cheese
- In a medium frying pan, heat a splash of olive oil and saute the eggplant till soft.
- Add the remaining vegetables and cook on low heat until preferred texture.
- Season with salt,pepper,rosemary and a splash of balsamic vinegar.
- Add some thin slices of mozzarella cheese, cover and shut off the flame.
- Allow to rest about 5 minutes for the cheese to melt.
- Put desired amount between good Italian peasant bread and top it with some fresh slices of tomato.
This light colored, medium-bodied chardonnay is completed with a wonderful finish of refine acidity and silky mouth-feel that expresses the natural goodness captured from the warm days and cool nights that one comes to expect from a premium Napa Valley Chardonnay. Crisp and fruity, the flavors of this sun ripened chardonnay combine hints of melon, white peach, and apple balanced with notes of lychee nut tropical fruits. The French Oak Barrels add a touch of almond and vanilla that dance across the mid palate.