A lot of people wouldn’t list string beans on their favorite foods list, but this string bean recipe might change some minds and turn those antis- into, pro-stringbeanies!
While you might not think of string beans where you’re brainstorming for a delicious side dish, those humble legumes can really shine if you prepare them just right. This is a Greek take on the string bean, and it goes great with almost any meal.
Fail Proof String Bean Recipe
- About 1 lb fresh string beans, washed and trimmed
- 3-4 medium cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 Medium Plum tomatoes – you want tomatoes that are firm so they can take the heat-diced
- 2T Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2-3T of white wine
- 1 lime cut in half for squeezing
- Salt and Black Pepper to taste
- Heat the pan (you can also use a wok) and add the olive oil (always add room temp oil to a hot pan to avoid sticking).
- Add the beans and stir around for a couple of minutes using medium high heat.
- Add the garlic and continue to stir the beans for about another minute.
- Add the tomatoes and stir around for a few more minutes until the tomatoes start to liquify.
- When the tomatoes are softened, add the white wine let it cook until you feel the string beans are softened.
- Squeeze one lime over the beans.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
This string bean recipe makes a great side dish, especially now while string beans are just about to be in season!
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by globetrotter