Top anything with salsa and it is bound to taste delicious. Try this zesty, spicy baked potato for a new twist on the average loaded baked potato.
South of the Border Baked Potato
- 1 small baking potato
- 2 small onion
- 2 cups pre-cooked black beans
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2-3 tbsp salsa
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar
- Wash potato and pierce 2-3 times with knife. Cook either in microwave for ~4-6 minutes (depending on size) or bake in oven (for much longer…). If cooking in oven, begin cooking now. If cooking in microwave, wait until all other ingredients are cooked so you don’t have a cold potato.
- Dice onion and saute on medium heat until softened. Add cumin and cayenne pepper. Add as much or as little of these spices as you would like, or feel free to add your own favorites.
- Once onion is clear and cooked through, stir in black beans. Since they are already cooked, just warm enough to heat through. Start cooking your baked potato in the microwave now.
- Once potato is cooked through, sprinkle cheddar cheese on and pop in microwave for 20 seconds to melt it.
- Top potato with a scoop of the black bean mixture, salsa and sour cream.
The bean mixture given here is very simply. Sometimes I like to change it up by adding celery and carrots, or zucchini and squash. Try it with your favorite veggies and top with fresh herbs when available.
Image Credit to Creative Commons user: Florian