Now that Kraft Miracle whip contains mystery ingredients its time to try this Homemade Miracle Whip recipe courtesy of The Feingold Association.
This is the story of a product that may — or may not — contain bad stuff (ie. dyes, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners or bad preservatives). I recently received an email from The Feingold Association, which publishes a list of food products that do not contain dyes, artificial flavors, artificial sweeteners or bad preservatives. Feingold was letting me know that they were removing Kraft Miracle Whip from its approved foods list. Apparently, Miracle Whip has a new ingredient list and the reformulated product includes unspecified “spices” and “natural flavor.” Feingold asked Kraft what exactly the “spices” and “natural flavor” are and Kraft refused to let them know. Since Kraft would not disclose the spices and natural flavor, Feingold removed Miracle Whip from their approved list of foods.
Given Kraft’s refusal to disclose the exact ingredients in the newly formulated Miracle Whip, Feingold suggests that if you want to avoid bad stuff in your food but like the sweeter taste of Miracle Whip, you can add a bit of sugar to your regular mayo. Or you can try this recipe.
Homemade Miracle Whip-like Salad Dressing
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp vinegar
- 1-1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1-1/2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Mix the first four ingredients together with a hand mixer.
- Slowly drizzle oil into egg mixture making sure to mix thoroughly. Be careful not to add your oil too fast.
- Mix in 2 Tbsp of vinegar and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix corn starch, mustard and remaining 2 Tbsp vinegar together until well combined.
- Add cornstarch mixture to boiling water and cook until smooth and pudding like. It should only take a few minutes.
- Slowly add the hot cornstarch mustard mixture to the egg mixture and blend well.
- Add paprika and garlic powder.
- Refrigerate in air tight container.