Are you are a blues fan, dig eclectic jazz, or have your iPod memory maxed out? Like food? Ever notice how many songs have food metaphors in them? Ready to play on a Wednesday? This quick little quiz will see if you can name the song and band for each of these lyrics that include “food.” Bonus questions can help those of you with more, uh, conventional music taste score well. Ready? Game on.
- “Baby, the way you eat that oatmeal pie just makes me wanna die.”
- I like mine with lettuce and tomato, Heinz 57 and french fried potatoes”
- “One more cup of coffee ‘fore I go”
- “If I had my little way I’d eat peaches everyday”
- “Tangerine trees and marmalade skies”
- “Coffee and a roll, hash browns over easy, Chile in a bowl with burgers and fries, what kind of pie?”
- “The other day I had a cool water sandwich and a Sunday-go-to-meetin’ bun”
- “Now I like sweet candied yams and I like home made ham hocks.
- “You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans.”
- “Well I’ve moved into the jungle of the agriculture rumble, to grow my own food”
1. What is the 1962 classic Blues instrumental named after a member of the Allium family?
2: List five artists or bands that have a food item as part of their name. Give yourself one bonus point for every additional five you can name.
Answers after the jump.
1. “Camel Walk,” Southern Culture on the Skids
2. “Cheeseburger in Paradise,” Jimmy Buffett
3. “One More Cup of Coffee,” Bob Dylan
4. “Peaches,” The Presidents
5. “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds,” Beatles
6. “Eggs and Sausage,” Tom Waits
7. “Rubber Biscuit,” The Blues Brothers
8. “Home Cookin’,” Junior Walker
9. “Back Door Man,” The Doors
10. “Now I’m a Farmer,” The Who
Bonus 1: “Green Onions,” Booker T. and the MGs
Bonus 2: Jellyroll Morton, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Humble Pie, Sugarcubes, Cake, Meatloaf, Fishbone, Meat Puppets, Smashing Pumpkins, Pearl Jam, Cream, Vanilla Ice, The Cranberries, Fiona Apple, Blind Melon, Red Hot Chili Peppers, String Cheese Incident, Eagle Eye Cherry, Bread, Tonic, Black-Eyed Peas, G Love and Special Sauce, Bananarama, Hot Chocolate, Strawberry Alarmclock, Vanilla Fudge, Electric Prunes … and many others.
Mixmaster. You’ve got it all going on and your friends line up for dinner parties at your house.
Blender. Great job! You’ve got soul and sole.
Hand Mixer. You’re still figuring out how to manage the playlist and the menu both, but you have potential.
0-4 Correct: Wooden Spoon. Still mixing by hand and singing “On Top of Spaghetti” at the top of your lungs? Try mixing it up with some jazz and blues next time.