Sit down in most any restaurant in New Mexico, order up a meal, and your server will ask: “Red or green?” Chile sauce, that is. Because a New Mexican meal without chile sauce is… well… not really a New Mexican meal. Can’t decide between red and green? Ask for “Christmas” and you won’t have to choose. I’ve had the opportunity to string chiles into ristras with my sister, who lives in Albuquerque and loves her green chiles. This one’s for you sis.
This weekend is the annual Hatch Chile Festival, a world-renowned celebration of the chiles grown in New Mexico’s Hatch valley. If you love to travel for food, get your butt to New Mexico or one of the other mouth-watering areas on the top 10 list of iconic American foods.
- Albuquerque – Green Chile Sauce
- Baltimore – Maryland Crabs
- Wisconsin – Fried Cheese Curds
- Memphis – Pulled Pork
- Philadelphia – Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches
- Charleston, SC – Shrimp and Grits
- Chicago – Italian Beef Sandwiches
- Indianapolis – Pork Tenderloin Sandwiches
- New Orleans – Boiled Crawfish
- Key West – Key Lime Pie
How many of these regional delights have you enjoyed?
Image Credit: Huevos Divorciados via Shutterstock