Here’s a great main dish that my mother used to make every Thursday night which was our “vegetable dinner night.” This eggplant recipe makes a hearty main dish with a salad or some greens on the side.
Fried Eggplant Recipe
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and sliced about 1/2″ thick
- egg wash – I use 2 eggs and a little cream, but you can substitute soy or almond milk instead
- 1c seasoned bread crumbs
- 1t each garlic powder and thyme
- Lots of sunflower oil
- Beat the eggs and prepare the wash with some garlic powder and thyme.
- After you cut the eggplant, dip each piece in the egg wash and coat with bread crumbs and set aside.
- Heat the pan and add the oil so you have about a 1/4″ deep in the pan.
- Fry the eggplant until golden brown on both sides (the first batch takes some time and then it speeds up a lot so be careful not to burn it!)
- When the eggplant is done, place on a dish or pan with paper towel or kitchen rag to absorb excess oil.
To make this dish a big healthier, you can bake the eggplant on a greased cookie sheet instead. Just preheat the oven to 425F and bake for 10 minutes, flip, and bake until the other side browns (about 10 minutes more).
You can serve this with a plain marinara sauce or a basil tomato sauce and it is a great main dish. You must have some fresh Italian bread to go with it and of course, the Chianti.
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by chichacha