You may be thinking fresh fruit salsa sounds too summery to bring to a Christmas party, but it’s light and delicious compared to all of the other heavy food associated with the holidays – people won’t be able to stop eating it. The slightly sweet – salty combo is amazing.
My favorite fruit to use is watermelon, but they are hard to find in the winter. Try using anything you can find: mango, pears, blueberries, kiwi, strawberries, pineapple, oranges, cherries, canteloupe…whatever you can get your hands on.
The perk of using a watermelon is that you can use the rind as a bowl. To do this, you’ll need to find a small watermelon that has a flat-ish end. If you’re not using a watermelon, a glass bowl looks nice for presentation.
- 4-6 cups of chopped fruit
- Medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, de-seeded and minced
- 2-4 tbsps of cilantro, chopped
- Juice from one lime (may want more if the fruit you choose is not juicy)
- Combine the chopped fruit, onion, garlic, peppers, cilantro and lime juice in a bowl.
- Salt to taste.
- Serve with tortilla chips.
If you are feeling adventurous, try adding mint or feta cheese!
Photo credit: Flickr Creative Commons by timomcd