Vegan Recipes from Planeat by Chad Sarno
© Chad Sarno
In the film, Chad Sarno showed us how to whip up a tasty vegan brisket with wild mushroom gravy that he served with mashed potatoes. The folks at Planeat shared the recipes for the brisket, mash, gravy, and a bonus kale salad with us!
- 1/4 c shoyu (soy sauce)
- 3 1/2 c low sodium vegetable stock
- 1/2 c date paste
- 1 c marsala wine
- 1/2 c tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic fine minced
- 1/2 T chipotle powder
- 2 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 2 c gluten flour
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
For the liquid batch mix in a bowl:
Whisk all above ingredients well. In separate bowl mix the dry batch:
- Hand mix liquid and dry batches. Knead for 3 minutes until all is mixed thorough and elastic texture of dough.
- For baking: In baking pan, or roast pan. Make another batch of the liquid as listed above, and pour in pan. place the Seitan loaf in the center and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes, flip, baste with liquid and continue to bake for 20 more minutes. Continue this process until most of the liquid is thickened up as a “glaze” and the seitan is firm to touch. Allow to sit to firm up before use. Shred, grind or mince for recipes.
Wild Mushroom Gravy
- 1/4 c stock (for steam frying)
- 3-6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 large white onion diced
- 1 1/2 c wild mushroom of choice chopped
- 2 T tamari (soy sauce)
- 3 c vegetable or mushroom stock
- 1/4 c Merlot, or other spicy red
- 1/2 c all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, off stem and minced
- 2 T fresh thyme minced
- 1/4 t ground black pepper
- Steam fry the garlic and onion in the 1/4 c stock for about three minutes on medium heat, add the mushroom and fresh herbs and continue to saute for a few minutes.
- Add the red wine and cook of for a few minutes.
- Add stock and stir, bring to a simmer.
- For the flour, yeast, and soy sauce make a slurry and add slowly to stock. Bring the gravy to a boil on medium to medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste. If the gravy is too thin for your taste, add one or two tablespoons of flour or small amounts of cornstarch to thicken it. Use a wire whisk to eliminate lumps.
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1/2 c vegetable stock
- 1 lb russet potatoes peeled, chopped and cooked
- 3 T nutritional yeast
- 1/4 c vegetable stock
- 1/2 c soy milk, unsweetened
- 1/2 T sea salt
- Black pepper to taste
- Steam fry the garlic and onion in the 1/4 c stock for about three minutes on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- After potatoes are cooked and tender to fork, strain. Add sauteed onions, and remaining ingredients and mash till desired smoothness. Serve hot.
Kale Avocado Salad
- 1 head kale, any variety is great shredded
- 1 large tomato diced, or red bell pepper
- 1 1/2 avocado chopped
- 2 T red onion, green onion, or leek fine diced
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 t sea salt
- pinch of cayenne
- In mixing bowl toss all ingredients together, squeezing as you mix to “wilt” the kale and creaming the avocado.
- Serve immediately. This dish is also great to substitute the kale for chard or spinach.