Ed note: The “Dotty” that this recipe is named for is my Nani Dorothy. She wasn’t one to write things down, and cooking was a huge part of who she was. So many of my fondest memories of Nani Dorothy took place in her tiny kitchen. I’m honored that my dad is documenting one of her recipes here.
This is a great appetizer or side dish especially for those hot summer days. It’s so simple and tastes so good. Northern Europeans have been eating versions of this for hundreds of years.
Dotty’s Famous Cucumber Salad
- 1 cup water
- half cup white distilled vinegar
- 2 medium cucumbers sliced thinly
- 1 medium yellow onion halved and sliced thinly
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cut the cukes and onions and put in a large container.
- Heat the water but don’t boil it.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until totally absorbed.
- Cool the mixture for about 5-7 minutes and then pour over the vegetables.
- Let this sit over night and then enjoy.
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by MDMallett