This curry vegan lamb recipe is perfect with a side of roasted veggies or a big salad!
Curry Vegan ‘Lamb’
To make Vegan Lamb
- 2 cups
vital wheat gluten
- 1/4 cup white wheat flour
- 1/8 cup white flour
- 1/8 cup organic soy flour
- 1/4 cup minute tapioca
- 1 tablespoon vegan chicken bullion
- 1/2 teaspoon each garlic powder, dried parsley, rosemary
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon vegan bullion vegetable paste
- 1 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- Combine the dry ingredients up to and including the garlic. Combine your wet ingredients. Pour the wet into the dry and knead for a few minutes. Shape into 2 loaves and prepare the broth (below).
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon vegan chicken bouillon
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon each dried rosemary, dried parsley, sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine all the broth ingredients in a large stock pot. Add the loaves and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Let cool in the broth. When cool, cut them into quarters and use one for the recipe below.
Finishing the curry lamb:
- 1 bunch coriander (cilantro), leaves separated and roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 11″ piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
- 6 to 8 long green hot peppers, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, cut into rough pieces
- 1 teaspoon each ground tumeric, black pepper, ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- dash ground nutmeg
- 2 loaves of seitan lamb (recipe above), cut into 1/2 inch cutlets
- Salt, to taste
- 1-1/2 cups hot water (divided), plus more as needed
- 2 white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ thick round pieces
- In bowl, combine coriander, garlic, ginger, and chiles. Using mortar and pestle, or pulsing in food processor, make into paste. (If necessary, add up to 1-1/2 tablespoons water.) Set aside.
- In skillet, heat oil and saute onion until golden. Add ground paste and cut-up tomato to skillet and cook an additional 5 minutes, stirring so mixture does not burn. If mixture gets too dry, add a few tablespoons of water if needed. Add turmeric, pepper, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg and mix thoroughly so flavors blend.
- Add lamb. Cook uncovered 5 minutes on medium to low flame. Add salt and 1 cup hot water and simmer, covered. If stew begins to dry, add water if needed, as it cooks. Add potatoes and 1/2 cup water. Cook another half an hour or until potatoes are tender.
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by little blue hen