This cold soup is sort of like a gazpacho, but not really. It’s a great dish for for lunch or dinner and works as an appetizer or as a main dish. It is very refreshing on those hot summer days and you can make it days ahead. The cold soup will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Cold Soup: Tomato Veggie Soup
- 1 28oz can of tomato juice
- 1 28oz can crushed or diced tomatoes – diced are less expensive than crushed (you can also substitute 3 1/2c diced, fresh tomatoes)
- 2 fresh limes
- 2 medium cucumbers seeded and diced
- 1 buch of scallions – finely cut 1/2 of them
- 5-6 red radishes finely sliced
- 3 stalks of celery trimmed and diced
- 1/2 large red pepper diced
- 6 medium garlic cloves – crushed
- Red chili powder to taste (I use about 1/2 tsp)
- Fresh cilantro to taste (I diced about 1/3 of the bunch into the mix)
- Dash of salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Optional additions: diced carrots, fresh garden peas, diced red onion, broccoli cut into small pieces, jalapeno pepper diced (watch our for the heat on this and stay away if you like it mild)
To make the cold soup:
- Mix all the items together in a very large bowl and sqeeze the juice of the 2 limes into it at the end. Stir around and put in the fridge over night.
- Serving suggestions: For lunch, try this with a dollop or two of sour cream or sour cream substitute or for an appetizer with no sour cream at all. For dinner, serve this up with the sour cream, some crusty baguette and a nice, cold beer.
Do you guys have any cold soup recipes that you like to make when the weather warms up? Share away in the comments!
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by St0rmz