Christmas desserts can be a real sugarfest. They can also be incredibly elaborate and time-consuming. This chia pudding recipe is a healthier, simpler alternative for the holiday table.
Andrea at our sister site Vibrant Wellness Journal is a cooking superstar. Her recipes use healthy, plant-based whole foods, and I love seeing the beautiful dishes that she shares on that site. This Coconut Chia Pudding recipe she wrote caught my eye, because it felt like a great way to work a healthy superfood into the holiday table.
If you’re a regular reader here, you know that we love chia seeds. We’ve talked about the health benefits of chia seeds before and shared lots of healthy chia recipes. Add this one from Andrea to the top of our list! If you like this recipe, I definitely suggest checking out Vibrant Wellness Journal for more awesome plant-based food from her kitchen.
Christmas Desserts: Coconut Chia Pudding
Try this rich, chocolatey pudding that’s rich in superfoods, not in added sugars!
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 1 1/4 cup plant-based milk (coconut, almond, etc.)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 -2 Tablespoons chocolate power/cacao powder, protein powder or carob powder (optional)
- dash of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, rosewater, orange blossom water, maple syrup (optional)
- Combine coconut, chia seeds, milk, vanilla and salt (and any optional ingredients, if using) in a pint jar with a lid. Cover and shake for about 15 seconds. Let rest, then shake again; rest, then shake one more time. It seems tedious, but this method seems to work best, as the seeds get evenly distributed as they are gelling and don’t glop together into a chia mess.
- Move jar to refrigerator and allow to rest for at least 2 hours.
- Scoop out pudding into a small bowl and garnish with cacao nibs, fresh fruit, drizzle of maple syrup or anything!