Summer’s fleeting, but we’ll undoubtedly still have a few hot days and men are still selling watermelons off trucks by a gas station near my house. I love watermelon, and I love agua fresca, the fruity, refreshing beverage sold at taquerias on Cherokee Street in St Louis that are easy to make and easier to drink. You can use any juicy fruit you like, but as long as watermelons are around, I’ll be using them.
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 6 cups cubed, seedless or seeded watermelon (about one medium watermelon)
- sugar, honey, or agave nectar, to taste
- juice of two small or one large lime
- 2 cups water, divided
- pinch of salt
- mint leaves, for garnish
- Puree half the watermelon with half the water. Strain juice into a pitcher.
- Repeat with remaining watermelon and water.
- Add lime juice, sweetener to taste (a tablespoon or two should do it), and a pinch of salt. Mix well.
- Serve cold, garnished with mint leaves
If you desire, you can turn this into an adult beverage with the spirit of your choice.