Happy belated Bastille Day.
In honor of the French holiday, and the fact that beets are in season, here’s a yummy recipe I came across that I had to share (with suggested vegan adaptations of course) because it sounded so deliciously French:
French Peasant Beets with Chard
- 4-6 beets with greens
- 1 bunch Swiss chard
- 3 tablespoons butter or oil of your choice
- 1 shallot
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 oz bucheron cheese at room temperature, optional
- warmed crusty bread
- Scrub and peel the beets. Cut off the greens and set the aside. Slice beets 1/4 of an inch thick.
- Coarsely chop the swiss chard and beet greens.
- Chop the shallots. Then, in a large skillet, melt the butter or add the oil and saute the shallots.
- Add beet rounds to the shallots in the pan. Sprinkle pepper over the beets and salt to taste. Reduce heat and saute beets, turning over to ensure even cooking.
- In about 15 minutes later when beets are becoming tender, add greens and chard. Saute for approximately 5 minutes, then add the wine and cover. Cook until greens are wilted, adding water if necessary. Allow liquid to be mostly absorbed into greens, adjust seasonings.
- Scoop greens and beets into a low shallow bowl. Garnish the wedge of bucheron of cheese if so desired and some crusty bread.
Photo: Flickr Creative Commons by La Grande Farmers’ Market