Do your pups have a bit of cabin fever from all of these winter storms? Show them some love with homemade dog treats!
Making your own dog treats is easy and fun, and they can be so much healthier for your dog than store-bought treats. I keep seeing dog treat recalls, and every time I do it reminds me that I ought to be baking up treats for my dog Jenna instead of buying the ones at the pet store.
The list below includes the homemade dog treats that I make for Jenna along with five other options to suit your needs and your dog’s tastes!
Homemade Dog Treats
1. Sweet Potato Treats – This is the recipe that I make for Jenna. It’s packed with wholesome ingredients that are good for your dog.
2. Doggie Pill Pockets – I’m lucky that Jenna will take her pills in a glob of peanut butter, but for pickier pups this recipe is the business!
3. Three Beagle Biscuits – Make this vegan, if you want, by ditching the honey and using 1 tablespoon flax meal plus 1/4 cup water in place of the egg.
4. Banana Carob Treats – Dogs can’t have chocolate, but carob is a-OK!
5. Peanut Butter Carob Treats – These are basically chocolate and peanut butter cookies for dogs. In my house, we’d definitely consider these “high value” treats – ones that she gets for doing something over-the-top good.
6. Peanut Butter Carrot Puppy Biscuits – Not just for puppies! These would be good training treats. Just break them into smaller pieces before your training session.
7. Sweet Potato – Don’t feel like mixing, measuring, and baking? Just peel, cube, and boil a sweet potato. Jenna loves this treat! Store in a container in the fridge, and it keeps for around four days. If your dog’s not eating it fast enough, you can use some in a soup or salad for yourself!