Ready to get cooking for Fat Tuesday? We’ve got some vegan Mardi Gras recipes, so you can celebrate cruelty free!
Fat Tuesday is tomorrow, you guys! Are you cooking up something special? New Orleans-style fare is often pretty heavy on the animal products, but there are some great vegan recipes out there with all the flavor of New Orleans with none of the cruelty.
Mardi Gras is all about having one last, decadent blowout before starting Lent. Whether you celebrate Lent or not, it’s fun to give yourself permission to cook up a Cajun-style feast and maybe fix a fancy cocktail (or two, or three…we won’t tell!) while you’re at it. Here are some vegan recipes – including a cocktail and a vegan king cake – to get the party going!
1. Red Beans and Rice – Red beans and rice don’t need meat to be delicious, and they don’t have to be hard to make! Fat Free Vegan’s easy red beans and rice recipe proves it all!
2. Jambalaya – The Kind Life has a great recipe for Jambalaya that’s totally cruelty-free.
3. Fried Okra – Crunchy fried okra is such great finger food.
4. Tofu Etouffee – Vegan Dad’s recipe for tofu etouffee over corn cakes is Y-U-M.
5. Southern Style Grits – Do you miss shrimp and grits? This vegan take on the southern classic is a perfect Mardi Gras dish!
6. Maque Choux – Bonnie shares a delicious vegan version of this classic Cajun soup.
7. Beignets – Yummy, sweet balls of fried dough. Definitely not health food, but maybe you can treat yourself to one, since it’s Mardi Gras, right?
8. Garden Po’ Boy – Vegetarian Times has a great recipe for an animal-free po’ boy sandwich!
9. Sazerac – Of course, boozing it up isn’t healthy for you, but it’s Mardi Gras, y’all! Fix yourself a Sazerac, and put on some purple, green, and gold beads!
10. King Cake – Of course, no Mardi Gras celebration is complete without king cake, and Kittee has a killer recipe for a chocolate peanut butter king cake that will rock. your. socks.