Need some healthy kid snacks? Put down the bag of chips and check out these delicious recipes!
Traditional kid snacks tend to be loaded with sugar and salt. Boo! Kids need to get their calories from wholesome fruits, veggies, whole grains, and protein, not from added sugar and white flour. The healthy kid snacks below are alternatives to the usual processed food fare.
The extra bonus when you make your own kid snacks? There’s so much less packaging waste than store-bought. Kiss those boxes, plastic sleeves, and cellophane wrapping goodbye!
We’ve broken our list of healthy kid snacks out into savory or sweet to suit your child’s snacky desires.
Healthy Kid Snacks: Savory
1. Popcorn – Microwave popcorn is bad news, but it’s super duper easy to make popcorn on the stovetop. Check out this basic recipe plus flavor variations. And if I could humbly submit a variation on one of the variations: ditch the Parmesan cheese and toss that popcorn with nutritional yeast! Y-U-M!
2. Vegan Goldfish – No artificial coloring or flavoring here! These homemade goldfish are even tastier than the real deal, in my opinion.
4. Roasted Chickpeas – If your kids like a little spice, try making them sriracha-roasted chickpeas instead of chips or crackers.
5. Roasted Cauliflower with Vegan Nacho Dipping Sauce – How do you get kids to eat their veggies? Serve with a side of naco cheeze, of course!
6. Parsnip Fries – Parsnips have a strong carrot-like flavor, and these oven-baked “fries” are a total kid-pleaser.
7. Homemade Crackers – Store-bought crackers are usually packed with sugar and salt, and healthier options can be pricey. The best solution, obviously, is to make your own!
Healthy Kid Snacks: Sweet
8. Food Art – Fresh fruit is the ultimate sweet healthy kid snack, but not all kids are going to be jazzed when you hand them an apple. Turn your fruit into pretty food art, and watch it disappear. Your kids can even get in on the action and help you lay out their plates!
9. Chocolate Energy Bars – If your kids are craving something sweet, try these yummy, chocolatey bites. Instead of refined sugar or sugary juice, these are sweetened with whole fruit.
10. Mini No Bake Cheesecakes – These chocolatey treats contain no refined sugar and are gluten- and dairy-free.