July 4th is in just a couple of days, and if you’re anything like me, that means grilling! Check out these vegan recipes for a cookout that’s as ethical as it is patriotic.
Your typical grill menu is pretty heavy on the animal products, isn’t it? Eggy mayo-based salads, lots of cheese, and piles of meat on the grill. It might seem impossible to plan a tasty, crowd-pleasing Independence Day menu without all of those things, but there are lots of awesome vegan dishes you can whip up on the grill!
Check out these 4th-worthy recipes…
1. Creamy Avocado Potato Salad – Who needs mayo when you can toss those potatoes in guacamole? YUM!
2. Veggie Burgers – In my estimation, a veggie burger shouldn’t try to taste like meat. Instead, enjoy the beans, grains, and veggies that make a good, wholesome veggie burger!
3. Grilled Portobello Mushrooms – You can enjoy a grilled ‘shroom on its own or on a bun with all of the fixin’s! I like mine topped with grainy mustard, a thick slice of heirloom tomato, and lots of avocado. This is a good basic recipe, though I’d use olive oil instead of canola.
4. Kale Salad – Instead of your typical green salad, try a super healthy, super delicious massaged kale salad instead!
5. Grilled Tomato Slices – In this ode to tomatoes, Mary shares a great recipe for tomatoes on the grill – check it out in the “Slice ‘Em” section.
6. Maple-Grilled Tofu – Veggie burgers not your thing? How about some sweet-and-savory grilled tofu instead?
7. Veggie Skewers – Of course, you can also keep it super simple with some veggie skewers. Make it fun by adding hearty mushrooms and sweet pineapple into your skewer mix!
8. Broccoli Cous Cous Salad – Macaroni salad? Who needs it when you can dish up this hearty grain-based salad packed with beans and veggies?
9. Grilled Eggplant Stacks – These are as tasty and filling as they are pretty.
10. Grilled Stone Fruits – Forget the processed desserts that usually go along with grilled food! Keep the fire going, and cook up some sweet stone fruits instead.
And, of course, no cookout is complete without a cold beer, right? Just make sure that your beer is as free from animal products as your eats!
I know, it seems crazy that there’s non-vegan beer, but there are animal products that some beer-producers use to process their bubbly beverage. Want to know if your favorite beer (or wine or booze) is vegan? Barnivore is a great resource!
Image Credit: Vegan 4th of July image via Shutterstock