Eating Vegan: 10 Healthy Vegan Soup Recipes
Is it chilly where you are? Warm yourself from the inside out with some of these delicious vegan soup recipes!
Well, it’s officially winter, you guys! I mean, it’s been officially winter for a while now, but here in Atlanta at least, winter really rolled in over the past few weeks. We had our first freeze, and I think the days of shorts weather are probably behind us until at least mid-March.
I am a total baby about the cold. I grew up in South Florida, and even after over a decade living in a town that has actual seasons, my blood is still pretty thin. The cold, dark days of winter are a shock to my system every year, and a steamy bowl of soup is like a little hug that makes it just a bit easier for my body to deal with the constant chill.
So many soup recipes – even vegetable soups! – rely on bacon, meat, or meat-based broths as “seasoning,” but there are plenty of hearty, tasty, stick-to-the-ribs vegan soups that are just as tasty! These are my favorite vegan soup recipes to get me through the thick of winter:
1. Tofu and Kale Lemongrass Soup – The citrusy kick in this Asian-inspired soup is perfect for beating the winter blues!
2. Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup – Rich, creamy, and earthy. This soup is total comfort food.
3. Healing Miso Soup – Another Asian soup! I love how versatile this recipe is. Really, you can use this base with any veggies you have on hand.
4. Perfect Split Pea Soup – If you can’t find the vegan ham that she used, about a teaspoon of liquid smoke will do the trick in its place!
5. Bistro Broccoli Chowder – A vegan take on broccoli cheese soup. You won’t miss the dairy!
6. Gingered Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup – I love a pureed soup, and the ginger gives it such a nice kick.
7. Crock Pot Callaloo – Hearty callaloo is so delicious, and making it in the crock pot means you can cook up a batch without a lot of work.
8. Middle Eastern Red Lentil Soup – This deeply seasoned soup is packed with yummy lentils!
9. North African Chickpea and Kale Soup – If you don’t have kale, you can use other dark, leafy greens like collards or turnip greens in this recipe.
10. -Spiced Pumpkin Soup – Just replace the butter in this recipe with Earth Balance or olive oil to make it totally vegan!
Do you have a go-to vegan soup recipe in winter? Tell us what’s cooking in the comments!
photos by Becky Striepe