Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe for World Vegetarian Month
by Yara Shoemaker from Yara’s Way
Celebrate World Vegetarian Month with Yara’s Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup!
It’s World Vegetarian Month and I’m honored to have a guest post here on Eat Drink Better! To celebrate, I’d like to share one of my favorite soups with you.
As fall comes around I start craving something hearty like this to warm me up. It’s such a lovely time to get outside and enjoy our farmers’ markets and local gardens, so throw on a scarf and have fun in the fresh air searching through the bounty for ingredients!
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sliced leeks
- 1 cup cubed potatoes
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- Celtic sea salt, to taste
- one sprig of fresh or a pinch of dry thyme
- half a sprig fresh or a pinch of dry rosemary
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp cloth or paper towel. Cut off the bottom of the stems and discard. Slice mushrooms into quarters.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Sauteleeks for one minute, then add potatoes and continue cooking for about five minutes. Toss in the mushrooms and saute another three minutes. Pour vegetable stock and water into the pot and bring to a boil. Add salt, thyme and rosemary. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes, until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from heat and take out the fresh thyme and rosemary, if used. Blend soup with a hand blender to the consistency you like; blend a short time to leave it slightly chunky or blend longer for a smooth soup. Taste and adjust the seasonings if necessary. Serve each bowl with a sprinkle of fresh parsley for garnish.
A cookbook author, former business student, model, esthetician and owner of a high-end clothing boutique, Yara is passionate about sharing her experiences and offering women advice for making their bodies beautiful from the inside out. Yara has collected her unique approaches to healthy cooking, natural beauty, style, wedding and event planning and travel online. Visit Yara’s Way to explore this exciting women’s lifestyle guide.