In Season Now: APPLES!
Tis the season, for apples, apples, apples!
Did you know . . .
- Apples date back to 6500 B.C.? Remains of apples were found during the excavation of Jericho in the Jordan Valley, which was dated to this time period.
- In 79 A.D.., Pliny the Elder described 20 varieties of apples in his work, Natural History (note: I actually have a nephew named Pliny. He’s awesome. An architect that does a lot of green design [for Whole Foods stores around the world] although people often ask him to repeat his name.)
- Apples are actually part of the rose family?
- The average American eats 45 pounds of apples a year!
- “An apple a day, keeps the doctor away,” comes from an old English saying, “To eat an apple before going to bed, will make the doctor beg his bread.”
- In 1100 A.D., the medical school of Salerno, taught that apples could help disturbances of the bowels, lungs and nervous system.
Health benefits of apples . . .
- Great source of fiber with about 4 grams for a medium apple (only about 95 calories)
- Good source of immune-boosting vitamin C
- Can help lose weight
- Can help lower cholesterol
- Can help reduce risk of diabetes
- One study of showed that the flavonoids, quercetin and naringin in apples could reduce lung cancer risk up to 50%
- Scientists from the American Association for Cancer Research found that consuming flavonol-rich apples could help reduce the risk of developing pancreatic cancer by up to 23%
- Researchers at Cornell University identified triterpenoids in apple peel that have a lot of anti-growth activities against cancer cells in the liver, colon, and breast.
I’m sure this is all great, but I’m sticking to organically grown apples – minus the toxic chemicals please! Apples are the #1 worst foods (loaded w/ pesticides when non-organically grown) on the Dirty Dozen foods list published by Environmental Working Group in their annual study of conventionally grown foods v. organic foods in terms of pesticides.
On the next page, read all about my recent apple-picking adventure!