More Cheese, No More Problems: Vegan Queso Recipe
Vegan Queso Dip
- 1 cup raw cashews (If you’re in the poor times, you can also use canned cannellini beans!)
- 3 (ish) cups almond (or soy) milk
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped (The original recipe called for brown, but I prefer yellow.)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (Or use the jarred kind if you’re on a budget.)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon white miso paste (Or add a little more cannellini beans.)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 16-ounce can pinto beans
- 1 jalapeño, finely diced
- 1 tomato, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot powder mixed with 3 tablespoons water (Arrowroot is a thickener, so you could also use something like corn starch or just more flour)
- 1/3 cup shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (if you don’t like to use processed vegan foods, you could leave this out and just expect a different consistency — to balance you could add more nutritional yeast, more cannellini beans and/or mustard.)
- 1 bag corn tortilla chips, for serving
- In a high-powered blender or food processor, blend cashews and 1-1/3 cups almond milk. Set aside.
- Heat Earth Balance and flour on medium to make a roux.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Add cashew mixture, nutritional yeast, remaining almond milk, lemon juice, and miso. Whisk until smooth.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, pinto beans, jalapeño, and tomato. Cook until thick.
- Add thickening agent and stir.
- Add shredded vegan cheese (or alternative ingredients, to taste.)
- Cook until smooth.
- Serve with tortilla chips. (Serves 4 to 6.)
Image Credit: Flickr Creative Commons, °Florian