Fennel is one of those tasty spring root veggies that confounds a lot of people. It’s got a mild licorice-like flavor and is great chopped into slaws and salads or cooked up in recipes like this gluten free, vegetarian peanut fennel soup!
Creamy Peanut Fennel Soup
Makes: 8 servings
- 2 large fennel bulbs with stalks, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 large leeks, chopped
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh basil leaves, plus more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 cups green tea, brewed
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt, plus more for topping
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoon fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup peanuts, ground
- In a large skillet, saute white onion and olive oil until caramelized, approximately 5 minutes. Add fennel and leeks; cook for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Transfer mixture to a food processor, add remaining ingredients. Pulse until smooth.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls. Garnish with additional Greek yogurt and fresh basil leaves.
What’s your favorite fennel recipe? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!