This vegan sweet potato soup is really tasty and simple and is jam-packed with nutrients. Starting with a base of sweet potato and onion, you can really boost the nutritional value of this healthy vegan recipe by adding zucchini, kale and fresh ginger. For those of you wondering how to get more healthy greens like kale past picky palates, this pureed soup is the perfect way to do that. Indian spices really pop with sweet potatoes for a delicious and comforting fall meal.
Vegan Sweet Potato Soup
Prep time: 10 min. Cook time: 20 min.
Time from start to eating: 30 min.
Makes: 4 bowls of soup.
- 1 sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 3 stems of kale (optional)
- 1″ piece of fresh ginger, grated and juiced (optional)
- 1-2 tsp Indian Spice Mix, or your favorite curry powder
- 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- sea salt, to taste
- Put the sweet potato and onion in a pot with about a cup of water, a sprinkle of salt, and bring to a low boil with the lid on. Let them cook for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is pretty soft. Add the zucchini to the pot, stir it in, and leave it for another 5 minutes – or longer if you want the zucchini to be really soft.
- Puree the vegetables, along with the kale if you want to include it and maximize the nutrients in this soup. Add water as you need to (including the cooking water from the sweet potatoes) to get the consistency you want for your soup. You can use a hand blender, but a food processor or full blender is better if you’re using the kale.
- Season the soup with Indian spices like cumin, coriander and turmeric or your favorite mix, and a pinch of salt. Fresh ginger adds lots of flavor and nutrients. Enjoy your vegan sweet potato soup topped with some pumpkin seeds.
Image Credit: Heather Nauta at Healthy Vegan Recipes