I originally stumbled upon Sammy’s Woodfired Pizza because they have a terrific wine list. With a reasonable prices (including several rated wines), they offer ½ off all bottles of wine after 5 p.m. every Monday they offer and that’s enough to make me a devotee. And with a slogan like “Eat Well. Feel Good.” you’ve got to love them. But that’s not all. Privately owned and operated with 18 locations (13 in California and 5 in Las Vegas), they also feature locally and regionally grown organic produce and hormone-free meats which pair well every varietal of wine. But, while researching wine pairs for this blog, I discovered that Sammy’s offers several yummy gluten-free and vegan options; and we were lucky enough to score their secret recipe for vegan pizza crust.
Vegan Pizza Crust
Prep time: 10 Minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope active dry yeast
- 1-2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vital wheat gluten
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 2 1/2-3 cups whole wheat flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- As needed, yellow cornmeal
- In a large bowl, (if using mixer, use the mixing bowl to mix ingredients) combine water, yeast, vegan sugar, vital wheat gluten and 1 tablespoon of the oil, stirring to combine. Let set about 5 minutes until mixture is foamy.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the salt, mixing with a spoon until the mixture is smooth. Add 1/4 cup at a time of remaining flour working it into the dough until a ball of dough is formed that is still slightly sticky.
- Knead 3-5 minutes on a lightly floured surface or using the mixer with the bread hook. Use remaining oil and oil a large bowl. Place dough in bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm draft free place. Let rise until doubled in size, about 1 1/2 hours. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Roll dough out on a slightly floured surface to fit 15″ pizza pan. Sprinkle pizza pan with cornmeal and place dough in the pan. Top dough with favorite toppings. Cook 15 -20 minutes or until done.