Sustainable Wine Tweets: 18 Green Wine Geeks To Follow on Twitter
Twitter has a huge green community and a huge wine community. But, luckily, if you’re interested in both, the list gets a bit smaller. This post is a Venn diagram of where these two communities intersect. In this cross-section there are journalists, filmmakers, non-profit organizations, wineries, wine shops, app makers and industry consultants as well as a whole bunch of individual winemakers and bloggers. To put it simply, these are tweeple I follow to keep up on what’s going on in the the sustainable wine space.
I’ve broken the list up into two categories: people and wineries/organizations. The first part of the list is focused on individuals whose tweets are mostly related to green issues like sustainability, conservation, green agriculture and farming practices, and local economies as they relate to the wine industry.
It goes without saying that the list touches on just a small number of essential Twitter users those of us interested into sustainable wine should follow. If you’d like to recommend additional tweeps, please share and add them in the comments below.
1. @alicefeiring is a wine writer (she used to be a wine and travel columnist for Time magazine) and is an outspoken and no-nonsense advocate for natural wine.
2. @AuraSustain Roger Kerrison posts for Aura Sustainability a New Zealand and Australia based consultancy to the food and beverage industry. Kerrison posts about many food industry topics including sustainable wine.
3. @ConsciousWine Jeffrey Weissler is the brain behind the new website called ConsciousWine.com tagged as ‘a fun & informative place to learn about wine choices vital to both palate & planet’ he links to videos, audios and other good stuff.
4. @DonelanWine Its always fun to read tweets from Tyler Thomas, the hotshot winemaker and susty visionary behind Donelan Wines. Tweets about Syrah and Sonoma. Disclaimer: Donelan is a VineCrowd partner, but Tyler is so awesome it totally doesn’t matter…
5. @GreenWine Guide – The @GreenWine Guide is the brain child of Jerry James Stone (@JerryJamesStone), an environmental and wine blogger for Discovery Channel’s @TreeHugger. Jerry tweets about organic, biodynamic and sustainable wine and vegetarian food/wine pairings.
6. @jasonchaas Jason Haas is a partner and General Manager at Tablas Creek Vineyard, one of the finest sustainable wineries in the country. from Paso Robles, CA.
7. @le_tastevin Martin Carel is half of Wino Brothers, a filmmaking team currently making a documentary on natural wine in California. Also the author of wine critics website Le-Tastevin.com in Quebec.
8. @RandallGrahm – Randall Grahm, who calls himself ‘the Founder, Winemaker, Terroirist/Vinarchist and Prez-for-Life @BonnyDoonVineyd’ is an icon in the industry and author of the excellent blog (and name of his book) Been Doon So Long.
9. & 10. @TheNPAHardy Hardy Wallace is the charming and deeply earnest co-owner of the real-deal Natural Process Alliance (you know, the wine in the reusable Cleen Canteens). His partner, Kevin Kelley tweets under @TheNPA. Both are worth following.
11. @BenzigerWinery is one of the first wineries to talk and walk sustainability. From Glen Ellen, CA, their motto is ‘It’s in our Nature!
11. @BonnyDoonVineyd It says it all in the tweet…
13. @HessCollection Hess Collection embraces a wide range of sustainable practices and has, among other things, 150 goats that do ground clearing.
17. @sipthegoodlife Kris O’Conner, the ED of the non-profit Sustainability in Practice, tweets on their winery certification program and member wineries.
Image: Twitter Venn