Grilled cheese is my favorite go-to quick dinner. There are so many flavor combinations the possibilities are endless! This recipe is my favorite as far as grilled cheeses go! When cooking, I like to mix together ingredients that do not typically go together. This sandwich is rich, tangy, juicy and sweet. We will just ignore the fact that it’s loaded with fat. Splurges are necessary once and a while. Here’s how you make it:
Grilled Cheese with a Twist
- 2 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 slice sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 slice Swiss cheese
- 2 tbsp avocado (or more if desired)
- sliced tomato, enough to cover whole sandwich
- dijon mustard
- butter, real butter
- thin slices of granny smith apple, enough to cover sandwich
Create the Sandwich
I am fully aware grilled cheeses are one of the easiest things to make, but here are some quick instructions anyway.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread. Cover the other sides with dijon mustard.
- Build the sandwich on one slice of bread. I prefer this order: swiss, avocado, tomato, granny smith, cheddar.
- Cook on medium heat on one side until browned. Flip and press down to melt the cheese.
- Prepare to be wowed.
I love the crunchy, tart apple with the smooth avocado and juicy tomato. Of course the cheese is always great. I hope you enjoy this grilled cheese sandwich as much as I do. Let me know how it goes!
Photo credit to creative commons user greg.turner