Coleslaw Recipes for Winter
Coleslaw doesn’t have to be limited to summer barbecues. In fact, you can make delicious and exotic slaws from all sorts of late-fall, storage-friendly produce. Here’s how:
Start with one pound of winter vegetables like:
- Carrots, peeled and coarsely grated
- Cabbage (green, red, Savoy, or Napa), shredded
- Beets, grated
- Fennel, shaved
- Celery root, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Celery, trimmed and thinly sliced
- Or a mixture of the above
Then add one of the following ingredients:
- 2 medium-sized tart apples, grated
- 1 cup matchstick-cut radish
- 1 navel orange, peeled and chopped
- 2 large shallots, peeled and minced
- 1 small red onion, peeled and diced
Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground black pepper and then toss with one of the following dressings:
- Classic: Whisk together 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons good vinegar or lemon juice, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Gingery: Whisk together 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon peanut oil, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, salt, and freshly ground black pepper.
- Asian: Whisk together 2 tablespoons sesame or peanut oil, 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, 4 tablespoons rice wine vinegar, 1 tablespoon minced garlic, 2 teaspoons minced ginger, 2 tablespoons honey or agave nectar, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon red chile flakes (optional).
- Creamy: Whisk together 1 cup plain yogurt, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 tablespoons honey, salt, and a pinch of celery seed.
- Indian: Whisk together 1 teaspoon ground cumin, zest and juice of one lemon, 1 teaspoon minced ginger, 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, and salt.
- Chile-lime: Whisk together 1 cup plain yogurt, 1/4 cup sour cream, 1/4 teaspoon lime zest, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 2 minced chipotle peppers with 1 teaspoon adobo sauce, 2 teaspoons minced garlic, and salt.
Toss in one or more of these optional additions:
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds or toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup minced almonds, peanuts, or cashews, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, currants, or raisins
- 1/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 cup cilantro or parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
Taste, adjust the seasoning, let sit for several minutes to allow the flavors to marry, and serve.