Published on August 17th, 2015 | by Jennifer Kaplan
John Oliver’s Food Waste Show Is A Must See
Producers, sellers, and consumers waste tons of food. John Oliver discusses the shocking amount of food we don’t eat. Or as Oliver says: Farm-not-to-table.
John Oliver may be the funniest social commentator on television today. Last month he didn’t pull any punches with his segment on how much food we waste in America. He starts out by pointing to NRDC reports stating that 40% of food never gets eaten and that Americans throw away $165 billion worth of food every year or about 20 pounds per person every month. And, it gets worse from there. Watch it yourself to believe it – the video is above.
Want some tips of how to waste less food? Jacquie Ottman’s blog WeHateToWaste.com offers a myriad of tips on how to waste less food. Some of the more obvious tips include being careful with expiration dates and being mindful of portion control. But, Ottman also offers more inventive methods that can have far reaching impact. Ready to reduce your food waste? Good.
Check out these posts for more on food waste:
- Startup FoPo Food Powders Freeze Dries Nearly Expired Fruit, Hopes To Lessen Food Waste
- One Cause Of Global Warming That Gets Overlooked: Food Waste
- Reducing Food Waste at Home….with SCIENCE!
- Stop Food Waste. Value Food More
- France Aims to Cut Food Waste in Half
- How South Korea is Reducing Food Waste by 30%